Monday, August 15, 2011

Newb

I am a noob when it comes to many things, but I didn't think spray painting was one of them.

I found an awesome wall fixture thing at Hobby Lobby for $3 a few weeks ago that had paint chipped in multiple places. I thought I could age it more with sandpaper and have it look shabby chic but it was turning out a lot more shabby than chic.

Enter scene: Wal Mart.

I'm obsessed with purple at the moment. I have purple toe nail polish, purple flip flops, recently purchased a bunch of purple tops... and I bought purple spray paint at Wal Mart.

I sprayed it twice last night and it was looking shiny purple and awesome. This morning I could still see some black paint on some edges so I sprayed it again. Aaaaaand this happened.

Unfortunately I didn't take a before picture!


What!? It's shiny, but it's crackingish? What do you call this? Wrinkling? Why is it doing this? Is it the heat? The humidity is only 50% or so. Can you only apply so many coats of spray paint before it starts hating you? According to my Google searches, it's because the type of paint reacted poorly do the paint beneath it. So my paint didn't react right to itself since I sprayed it last night, let it dry overnight, and sprayed it again this morning. What??

As an attempt to make lemons out of lemonade, I continued to spray the entire thing to get a cohesive look. I kind of like the look now!




It should go nicely in my "eclectic" crafting room!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks, mango! You're a fabulous person and there needs to be more people like you that comment on awesome posts.